It’s spring and that means that the wedding invitations are pouring into your mailbox. That’s lovely until you run across the invitation that says Formal Attire. Now it becomes a matter of what are you supposed to wear?
Not to worry, we’ve got what you need to know to make the best dressed guest list this spring!
Formal Attire is just what it sounds like.
You are expected to dress for the occasion. No flip-flops, sundresses or jeans and sneakers; this will be a very grown up event.
For the woman, time to bring out your girly side!
- Floor length gowns are the thing for events after 5:00PM. For a formal brunch you can go tea-length but still much dressier than a simple sundress.
- This spring not only will you find the more traditional solid colors but beautiful prints are also making a strong showing in light flowy fabrics. These gowns are very feminine and fun to wear.
- Of course you know not to wear white so you don’t look like a bride, but you don’t want to be mistaken for one of the bridesmaids either. The invitation or website may give you some color cues as to what colors the bridal party will be wearing.
- Don’t be afraid to show off a little skin, just be aware some houses of worship may take a dim view of your plunging back. Depending on where the wedding ceremony is, you may want to bring a lovely summer shawl to add coverage as needed.
- If you are into sparkly, this is your time to shine. Bring on the beaded gowns, gold clutch and sandals.Have your hairdresser weave a few jeweled elements into your ‘do.
For the men, look to the red carpet for inspiration.
- A tuxedo is the gold standard for men’s formal wear. I know you love the look of a white dinner jacket but that will only work for a formal brunch my friend.
- Also appropriate is a black 3 piece dinner suit.(It’s more elegant and tailored than a business suit)
- Trending right now are velvet evening jackets worn with tuxedo trousers. It has that vintage look of a smoking jacket.
- Black isn’t the only option you have. Charcoal gray is popular and thanks to James Bond, midnight blue tuxedos are beginning to show up. Be open to discreet color options but if it screams prom, run.
- Most important of all is that your jacket and trousers fit properly. If you are renting, visit a small shop with an excellent tailor for the best results.
- If formal attire is a trend among your friends, you really should consider buying your own formal wear. Pick a classic style and have it tailored. You will always be ready for anything.